Board Meeting Minutes
May Board Meeting
- Stewardship: The Happy Creek diversion structure failed this spring, so most of the water is still flowing into the drainage ditch instead of the original Cripple Creek channel. The upper Cripple Creek diversion did not fail, but is too low– water is flowing over it instead of into the original channel.
- Land: Landowners of a few extremely remote parcels (Brooks Range) are interested in conservation options.
- Grants: We received the Proactive Conservation grant from the USFWS to continue funding the conservation coordinator position! This is critical to support our core mission, we are very grateful to receive full funding.
- For the good: In order to reclassify the conservation coordinator as an employee, we will need someone with experience with payroll tax and worker’s insurance. There was a closed discussion to come up with options.
April Board Meeting
- Stewardship: Discussion on the planned bridge for Chinook Conservation Park– we need engineering design approval.
- Land: 152 acre parcel in Goldstream Valley has been acquired– good job everyone! Appeal of property tax assessment for two parcels was postponed.
- Fundraising: Raised $2,810 in our online auction fundraiser. Thank you participants and sponsors! Especially Sierra Club Alaska Chapter, who donated $1,000.
- Grants: Applying for “Acres for America” grant. Would fund the conservation of upper Cripple Creek, making a continuous corridor to the headwaters. Also applying for REI Co-op Local grant. Funding for IALT’s one paid staff position is expiring in May, so we are applying for the Proactive Conservation grant from the USFWS to continue that core support.
- For the good: We added an annual donation option on our membership page!
March Board Meeting
- Stewardship: Volunteers had a clean-up party at the Steffensen cabin. Hoping someone will move or demolish the cabin before the snow melts. Goldstream Valley Lions gave us info on how to use public snow groomers. Discussed new Borough trail plans– may be able to add Goldstream Creek as a water trail.
- Land: Christin is drafting the deed to acquire the 152 acre parcel in Goldstream Valley, earnest money has been paid. Agricultural easement off Eielson Farm Rd. in the works. Discussed consolidating parcels in western Goldstream for management purposes. Appealed the tax assessment for eastern portion of Parrish, which was valued much higher than the western portion.
- Fundraising: Online auction coming up March 15-20! Working with web developer to improve our permanent donation page.
- For the good: Discussion on invasive bird vetch. So far the new Cripple Creek channel is bird vetch free, but there is vetch in the parking area and meadow. Public is invited to pull any bird vetch they see! We have applied for a $5k Cornell Land Trust Bird Conservation Grant, mostly for outreach and education.
February Board Meeting
- Discussion on Bailey Bridge project for summer at CCP.
- Owen Guthrie discussed tree cutting in Goldstream and potential management issues and opportunities for greenbelt.
- A brief discussion on a potential adjacent Conservation Easement or acquisition for trail continuity and access maintenance followed.
- Discussion on trapping on IALT lands and CE lands. Traps that have recently appeared on IALT lands and trails are very close to trails and recreation users.
- Discussion on two spring parcel purchases – appraisal on one property has been started/requested!